Friday, July 6, 2012

I died in the shelter tonight

Hello! and welcome to my blog. My name is Barb and I thought I would introduce myself by telling you that I have no set coarse for this blog. I am sailing in uncharted waters. Maybe I will go down with the ship. Maybe I will sail around the world. Who knows? I have heard about blogs for a long time now and so I wondered, hmmmmm, what would I blog about? Well .....here I am , my first entry 7-7-12.  Now hopefully you will  join me while I write about my thoughts maybe daily, weekly or just when ever I feel a need to let people know just what I am thinking,

Now, how did I get here tonight? Well .....I read a story about a dog who lost its life today in a kill shelter.

This had mad me sad.

As I sit here all warm and cozy on my couch and my family and pets are safe. I wondered? What brought that specific dog to the shelter anyways? Was she a runaway? Did the owner have to give her up due to poor health, old age, loss of job or were they just irresponsible and the cute little puppy grew up and was not so cute anymore? Do they know just how bad she felt being away from her family in that scary place only to have her last days be spent afraid and waiting for a familiar face and smell to come through the door and bring her home. But, that never happened.

I guess I will never know that answer.   I read the short story about this dog who was a young female brindle. She was  happy, friendly, good with other dogs and waiting for someone to adopt her. Yep her story, that's it. She was just a good dog.

Her downfall?

She was never listed on the ready to adopt list (according to the story). She was placed in the shelter for a short time, 2 days I think, and with 11 other dogs and yesterday they were killed while empty cages sat unused.

So this is why I'm here.

 I'm blogging about a sad moment in human nature. I can't save the world and I don't pretend to be the one that can.

I can see what drives both sides of shelters. How many unwanted animals can you save?  How many do you just have to let go. While both sides fight for the right " We are doing the humane thing"

But are we?

On a softer note.

I met a young lady over the internet who spends most of her day trying to save unwanted animals. She actually has 10-30 cats that come and go in her home by fostering and a she has a few dogs too. She fosters kittens and adopts all the older hard to place animals. Your wondering is she is normal?  Yes she is married,  has children and a BIG heart, and yet I have to wonder what kind of impact can one person make by helping these animals and making people aware of the plight of these unwanted animals. My heart goes out to her because she lives in the sad world  of, if she doesn't do it, they will die.

Whew! with all that said.

Tonight on my first blog, I want you to know that my heart is heavy on this topic. I won't go into trying to convince you of  my hopes for the world, what I think is right. I just wanted to let you know that if you can help out another living thing, be it a elderly person who needs a friendly hug and hello, a child who has fallen and needs a Band aid, a handicapped person that needs acceptance in your look, a teen in need of a mentor, a mother struggling with her child at a store and instead of that look of "my kids never acted like that" you might ask her if you can help her with something, a father who can't provide food  for his family and is depressed or even that pet in a shelter that needs adopting, fostering or just a donation of food or litter.

Just do it. Do something.

Do it not because someone is watching, do it because you know it is the right thing to do. If you don't, maybe no one else will. Do it because as times get tougher, you might be on the receiving end and hopefully someone will be there to hold your hand, smile at you, provide the life you need.

With this said, tonight's blog was on the sad side. I'm usually very upbeat but this was on my mind. I may touch on this topic from time to time because I do care about animals, however I hope you join me in some of my antics. I do have a warped sense of humor...... sometimes.

Well this ship has sailed for the evening. Signing off and hope you enjoyed my first blog. I loved writing it.
I don't know why I swallowed the fly.....I didn't die....yet! Good night xo

No comments:

Post a Comment